Author Topic: lump on bicep  (Read 7119 times)

tlrome

• Safe Harbour Therapy
lump on bicep
« on: June 10, 2011, 04:24:15 PM »
Okay, I need some help choosing a direction to go with a weird symptom. Sudden onset of mild pain and a marble-sized lump on the inner upper arm (bicep area). BFC ointment had no effect after 24 hours. After 8 hours of black ointment, lump is a little larger and more painful...even when not touched now.  I'm thinking swollen lymph node based on sudden onset. Other people in the house are sick, so I am probably fighting some kind of virus.  Ideas anyone?
Tammy L. Rome, LPC
Marriage & Family Therapist
SNH Master Herbalist Student

tlrome

• Safe Harbour Therapy
Re: lump on bicep
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 05:33:40 PM »
Just had a conversation with my husband. We're starting to put the pieces together.

Saturday/Sunday -- I was outside in the shade in unusally high heat. I drank plenty of water with electrolytes and still had difficulty coping. I broke out in hives that resembled a sunburn only on my forearms.  Getting back inside for several hours reduced symptoms. However, my skin continued to itch all week, gradually reducing in severity. I used Chickweed ointment and the ImmuCalm formula. Still itching a little, but greatly reduced.

Monday -- I broke out with blemishes on my neck...like bad acne. I am using Tea Tree Oil on the lesions. I got a new one on the back of my neck this morning.

Thursday -- Felt the lump on my right bicep before work. Use BFC Ointment all day with no effect. Changed to black ointment overnight

Today -- Woke up to increased size and pain. Have continued the Black Ointment.

My gut says these are all connected. Would love feedback.
Tammy L. Rome, LPC

mike cmt ch

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 01:57:44 AM »
well did you injure your bicep in any way/ or do an unusual amount of work with your arms  recently?
hives and itching sounds like a reaction to something i would suggest taking the lower bowel #2 with plantain tea alternating with echinecea. do you know if you ever had heat rashes before?
are you taking anything for depression ie drug or herb? :) let me know

tlrome

• Safe Harbour Therapy
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 06:46:07 AM »
No injury or unusual work. No history of heat rashes. No drugs/herbs for depression. That's what's got me stumped. The lump is hard, deep, and tender to the touch. So far, no impact on the arm functioning, no tingling or numbness. The black ointment seemed to only irritate the skin's surface; went back to BFC. Rash/itching are responding to current treatments. It's the lump that I'm stuck on how to treat. I may consult my naturopath on Monday.
Tammy L. Rome, LPC

mike cmt ch

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 03:22:57 PM »
sometimes lumps can be a benign mass of tissue that is unexplainable. Many times ive come across them in massage therapy.the key is to know what non benign lumps look like. things such as the shape, is it irregular, is it changing in size, externally is it raised, what is the color etc etc this will give one more information.
im more concerned about the hives and why you would have them. In my opinion if i had this situation i would use the bowel formula #2 with plantain tea 5x daily along with immune boosting(organic purple garlic 2-3 large cloves every 2 hours). if it was a lymph node the the infection would move to the next node quite quickly and spread. breaking out in hives is like an allergic reaction to something perhaps heat,a bite of some kind, something you ate etc Thus no matter what the cause two things need to be done 1 boost the immune system and 2 cleanse the bowels/liver/blood. ;) if after faithfully doing these for a couple weeks improvement does not take place a reassessment will be needed and a different approach needs to be taken.

ps i would be careful about naturopaths as they do very strange treatments. ;)

tlrome

• Safe Harbour Therapy
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 08:25:10 AM »
Started using Mullein & Lobelia internally and externally. Naturopath confirmed that it's a swollen lymph node and that my body is fighting some type of infection. Added garlic after that. It's now been over a week and there is less pain at the site of the lump and it feels a little smaller and less tender to touch. Since my husband was fighting a viral infection at the same time I got this, I am assuming it's the same virus, but that my body is dealing with it differently.  I am now starting to see my body's healing response take over so I think I'm on the mend. Thanks so much for your input! Lucky for me, my naturopath is more herbalist so I get the good stuff, not weird stuff.
Tammy L. Rome, LPC

Ivygreen

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 02:59:16 PM »
  That was going to be my suggestion also.  Again, Mullein is THE gland herb.  Good luck!!
You also might try drinking Red Raspberry Leaf tea to aid in getting rid of the internal infection, also Olive Leaf as a nutritive and infection fighter.

mike cmt ch

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 02:49:55 AM »
swollen lymph nodes from infections are helped with plantain as it helps to remove posions(infections).This is why its  used with poisionus insect / snake bites when the lymph nodes are swollen and infected. ;)  Lymph nodes being an  aggration of tissues containing immune cells such as b,t and white blood cells.
  mullein on the other hand is a glandular herb which would help malfunctioning glands like the thyroid, reproductive organs etc. perhaps it mught help indirectly as herbs do many things but in this case it would not be my first choice. ;)